Wednesday 29 October 2008

Book Review - "Once While Travelling: The Lonely Planet Story" by Tony and Maureen Wheeler


Once While Travelling: The Lonely Planet Story, follows Tony and Maureen Wheeler’s progression from penniless travellers to the brain children behind the world’s largest independent travel publishing company.

An honest, heart-warming account, detailing the day-to-day tribulations of working long hours to achieve a much desired dream, coupled with the occasional financial and relationship glitch along the way. Whilst largely autobiographical, the book portrays an honest take on the day-to-day life of a travel writer on the road, alongside giving the reader a sound understanding of the corporate background, including the reasons why in 2007 they sold the majority stakehold to BBC Worldwide.

What transpires throughout this book is the Wheeler’s passion for travel and their determination to succeed, whilst maintaining humility and modesty in living the kind of life that most people dream of living.

2 comments:

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I actually have a copy of this book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm such a procrastinator.

I have this serious compulsion for buying books, and it's just wrong! My reading can't catch up to my buying.

hou qian 浩芊 said...

Just finished reading this book.

I salute Tony and Maureen for their determination in turning passion for travelling into business. I can't help shedding a tear when I read about them having only 27 cents in the pocket. What a difficult life they have gone through!